The 2017 conference was held on March 18, 2017 at Michigan State University. The conference theme was Developing Systems to Face the Challenges of Today and Tomorrow. The conference focused specifically on the complex issues related to improving teaching and learning mathematics, including highly public federal and state accountability systems, limited financial resources, enrollment declines, increase demand for STEM workforce, and more.
Multiple participants attended the conference.
The plenary speakers were:
- Kathryn Chval (Dean and Professor in Mathematics Education, University of Missouri) who gave a talk titled Reclaiming the Floor in Mathematics Teacher Education: Where Do We Begin?
- John Austin (Past President, Board of Education, Michigan Department of Education) who gave a talk titled Building the Education System of Tomorrow - Today
- Corey Drake (Associate Professor and Director of Teacher Preparation, Michigan State University who gave a talk titled Transforming Mathematics Teacher Education in Michigan: Equity and Impact
- Sherry Gay-Dagnogo (Former Teacher and Current State Representative for District 8, Michigan House of Representatives)
- Valerie Mills (Supervisor and Mathematics Education Consultant, Oakland Schools)
- Shari Stockero (Associate Professor of Mathematics Education and Director of Teacher Education, Michigan Technological University)
For more information, see the conference website.